blood blister

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

blood blister

My son, age 23, has a spot on his back shoulder that looks like a blood blister.  He showed it to me 2 weeks ago.  It drains and refills, he covers it with a bandaid so if it opens it will not ruin his clothes.  I made a doctors appointment for him, but my imagination is running wild while we are waiting to be seen.  Could there be a nonserious explaination for this?  It does not look like it is infected around it.

I am "gun shy" as our daughter has gone through leukemia and our adopted son, neuroblastoma.  I am getting very worried and trying to remain calm.  

Thank you in advance for any information.  
'If a blister bursts, don't peel off the dead skin on top of the blister. Gently press the area to get rid of all the fluid inside, and then cover the blister and the area around it with a dry, sterile dressing to protect it from infection until it heals.

Blood blisters should also be left to heal naturally. As with other blisters, if a blood blister bursts it is important to keep the area clean and dry, and protect it with a sterile dressing to prevent infection.

Blood blisters are often painful, and you may wish to apply an ice pack to the area immediately after the injury that caused it. You should apply the ice pack for between 10 and 30 minutes. The ice should not touch your skin directly as this may cause a cold burn, so place a towel over the injured part first.

Even when popped as described above, a blister can become infected, Staph aureus infections being most common. Blisters that have become infected can be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your GP. '

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister

It would be best to consult a doctor if it does not resolve on its own in a few days.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.

did you ever find out what it was? i have the same type of thing on my shoulder. all I can think is skin cancer. And its freaking me out :/