blood clot under toenail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

blood clot under toenail

i went to hilly region a week ago. while climbing back from  a mountainous path. my left foot got hurt with a rock. i was wearing sports shoes although, but it pained badly. it was around 10-11 km long path still left. when i reached my hotel room, my both feet's thumb was paining. that day, at night, i gave my feet a warm water bath. but after that i couldnt do much for them and then gave them a warm water bath after 3 days and then after 2 days. in all i could help it only 3 times in a week. now my left toenail has blue-blackish colour under nail and right toenail has reddish color under it. how can i remove this coloration??? please help. thanx  
It can be due to formation of subungual hematoma. A subungual hematoma is caused by collection of blood (hematoma) underneath a toenail or fingernail. Keep the hand elevated and apply cold compresses by wrapping ice cubes in a towel. Please ensure not to apply ice directly without any cloth. Also take some anti inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac if you have taken them prior to this injury and have not shown any allergic reaction to them.  Also consult a doctor because any hematoma which is covering more than 25 % of the area has to be evaluated by a doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

thanx a lot. the pain has vanished, and the clot is getting dispersed in one toe, and in other it is lightening. i read ur suggestion late, wud go to a doctor as its a working day. tilll then would follow your suggestion. thanx for sparing time for me.