blood under my thumbnail!!!!!!!!!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

blood under my thumbnail!!!!!!!!!

I ACCIDENTLY HIT MY THUMBNAIL 2 WEEKS AGO AND DRILLED A HOLE TO LET SOME BLOOD OUT.  NOW THE NAIL IS BLACK.   IS THERE ANY THING I CAN DO TO GET THIS DRIED BLOOD OUT OF MY NAIL ?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? A subungual hematoma is a collection of blood in the space between the nailbed and fingernail. Subungual hematoma results from a direct injury to the fingernail. The pressure generated by this collection of blood under the nail causes intense pain. It is normal to have discoloration under the thumb after the injury.  If the hematoma is 25% or more of the underlying nail area or pain is great,  medical attention may be indicated to rule out fracture to the bone at the end of the finger or toe or a laceration to the nailbed under the nail. (ref: : http://www.emedicinehealth.com/subungual_hematoma_bleeding_under_nail/page4_em.htm)

Take care and regards.