blotchy red rash on chest for year+

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

blotchy red rash on chest for year+

i've had this red blotchy dry rash on my chest for over a year. it is for the most part barely even noticeable and when it is at it's obvious it is only a few shades off from my skin. it isn't raised and does not itch but when i take a shower or sweat and then scratch the top layer of skin only where the rashis on my chest rubs off.. at first i thought it was from this dirty couch i had been sleeping on but we have gotten rid of those months ago yet the rash remains??
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Are there other signs or symptoms present? This could be tinea versicolor, pityriasis rosea, or a ringworm. It is very hard to reach a diagnosis without actual examination of the lesion. Tinea versicolor, a relatively common skin infection caused by the fungus Pityrosporum ovale presents with patches of discolored skin with sharp borders and fine scales that sometimes coalesce. The patches are often dark reddish-tan in color and skin may appear lighter than surrounding healthy skin and usually associated with hot climates. The most common sites are the back, underarms, upper arms, chest, and neck.  Diagnosis is through skin scraping and subsequent examination under a microscope. Treatment consists of over the counter topical anti-fungal medicines. If condition persists, it is best to see your doctor for further evaluation and management. This link may be of help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea_versicolor

Take care and keep us posted.
wow.. i'm pritty surethats exactly what it is. the site you gave me was very helpful..thanks. all the symptoms match mine perfectly. do you recomend and specific topical anti-fungal medicines?? i read on that site that its has to do with the build up of yeast? could that possibly be the cause of my recent yeast infections. until last month ive only ever had 1 about 6-7 years ago and it was because of taking lyme disease medicine and then last month i got 2? is there any other problems thats causeing me to have trouble with yeast levels in my body? your help was much appreciated before and helped relieve some stress.. i have no med. insurance and a paranoia of diseases.. so my mind will never be at rest when it comes to health.