boil like lesion????

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

boil like lesion????

I was wondering what these boils are???I start getting them around the time of my period, about 5 days later they are a full blown boil "open head puss filled very painful" the opening is about 1/8 of an inch sometimes bigger about 1/4 inch they last for about a week then go away,only to start again in about 2 weeks and  the cycle starts all over again is this mrsa or just a boil???  I dont know if this is coincidense but they only seem to be on the left side of my body,mainly on my fingers and on my calf  if i happen to knick myself shaving...PLEASE HELP!!!

Boils or skin abscesses are large, sore, reddish bumps resulting from infections deep in the skin.

A boil usually starts as a tender area that becomes hardened and swells resembling a "blind pimple." It can develop slowly but eventually the center will soften and develop a "head." The head is filled with bacteria, proteins, and the accumulation of white blood cells sent to fight the infection, otherwise known as pus. When the boil reaches its final stage, it can be drained by lancing or it may spontaneously drain. Applied hot packs will help this process along, as the heat draws more blood to fight the infection.

There are several types of boils including furuncle or carbuncle boils caused by a bacterium called staphylococcus aureus. This type of boil, which may have multiple openings onto the skin, is sometimes accompanied by a fever or chills. Another common boil is caused by cystic acne. These abscesses form due to clogged or infected oil ducts. Cystic acne affects deeper skin tissues than that of common acne and is often associated with teenage years.

Boils can also form as a result of an ingrown hair or at the site of any skin puncture such as a splinter or cut that may become infected. In most cases applying moist heat packs will help draw the boil to a head, however lancing a boil before a head forms will not alleviate the tenderness nor aid healing. In fact it can have the opposite effect and slow the healing process.

Some types of cortisone medications like prednisone can suppress the immune system increasing the chance for boils, and people with impaired immune systems might also have a greater tendency to develop boils.

It may happen, especially with larger boils, that several pockets of pus need to be lanced and drained. In this case seeing a healthcare practitioner might be best. Antibiotics are sometimes prescribed, however medication is not always needed.

Regards.