boil on my cheek

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

boil on my cheek

i had a huge boil on my cheek,i did pop it before it came to head(i didnt know it was a boil as i've never had one before).anyhow i still have a bump though its not huge and not small either.its been 2years now and doesnt seem to go away.can i use something to get rid of it?

It sounds like a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin. They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected, Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

hey thanks for that!it is 'pasty' n 'cheesy',though its not painful,do u think i should make a small incision myself to totally get rid of it?i do sometimes squeeze it,now i have a small needle like mark
Avatar n tn
Does it hurt? Boils usually hurt in my experiance with them. Maybe it is your tooth/teeth not really a boil. I have a friend who thought she had a boil on her chin, ended up to be her tooth. Just a suggestion.  Good luck.
it did hurt quiet alot when it was growing and warm to touch.when i did pop it bloody puss was coming out,but now its just sitting there on my cheek and when i look in the mirror its says 'hello remember me,im still here and have been for two years......'