Dermatology Expert Forum
boils

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

boils

My wife has a boil on her buttocks that goes away the returns what can be done for this it is very painful for her
James:

If she hasn't done so already, your wife will need to show this "boil" to a physician when it's fresh.  Your description fits anything from a clogged pore to staph (bacterial) or even a viral infection.  Treatment will depend on more precise diagnosis than your note permits.  

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Best.

Dr. R
Hello there,
I hope that this physician knows what Hidradenitis is.  If this is recurring (which means it never goes completely away), why does the person need to wait to see her doctor?  Isn't it dangerous to wait if it is staph?
Please see my hidradenitis club on Yahoo at: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hidradenitis
And also visit H.I.D.E. International at: http://webhome.globalserve.net/hidecan/disclaim.html

There are a lot of people working on the web to raise the level of understanding of Hidradenitis.  I hope your site will post current, up to date information about Hidradenitis soon.
FYI James,
I saw the post from Wendy. She failed to explain the defintion of hidradenitis and the doctor could not be specific. According to the Encyclopedia & Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, & Allied Health, written by Miller-Keane, the following information was available:
1. Hidradenitis, meaning inflammation of the sweat glands.
2. Suppurativa hidradenitis, a severe, chronic, recurrent suppurative infection of the apocrine sweat glands.
3. Hidradenoma, a general term for tumors of the skin, the components of which resemble epithelial elements of sweat glands
they may be nodular(solid) or papillary.
The apocrine sweat glands are primarily situated around the anus and axilla. The eccrine sweat glands are distributed over almost all of the body surface. As the doctor indicated the boil could be related from several causes. I find cotton underwear helpful,
bacitracin or neosporin ointment applied to the boil, and frequent showering with either a hibaclens liquid scrub or betadine liquid scrub. Any pharmacist can help you find these solutions. These will help to kill bacteria and prevent reoccurance. Since these solutions dry the skin use an antibacterial soap between scrubs. Dial and Safeguard are good ones. I occasionally(lightly) use Ammens powder in the genital area. It is good for men and women and prevents chaffing and skin irrations. Hope this helps, BTW I am a nurse but your wife's doctor should be consulted if it does not get better or fever develops.

I have a huge boil(or at least appear to look that way) on the outside of my ear. I noticed it about 2 months ago. Where then it hadn't surfaced yet. I could feel a lump under the skin. About 4 days ago , out of nowhere it grwe huge. It is the size of a quater if not bigger. I am going to the doctor this evening, but i am very worried and would like to know something before the day is over. It is purple and hurts very much. I t has startes to affect my hearing. It is located about a centimeter away from my ear lobe and continues to get bigger.... Please write back with an answer , thank you much
                                          Lyra
I'VE USED LEVER 2OOO ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP AROUND MY EARS EVERYDAY AND IT HAS KEPT THE USUAL BOIL BEHIND MY EAR FROM GROWING BACK. I SUPPOSE I HADN'T KEPT MY EARS SO CLEAN THAT IS WHY I WOULD GET THEM MORE OFTEN. JUST A NOTE.
It has nothing to do with being clean,it may be as simple as sweating while sleeping ..or tight underwear or clothing... Use Bactroban ointment.. or if you dont have time to see a doctor,you can find Ichthammol ointment at your local drugstore,it smells bad but is very effective at bringing them to a head.
A related discussion, It is boils or HS? was started.