brown patches in lower legs below the knees

I developed itchy rashes on both my lower legs. They would feel itchy and I would scratch and some of the spots would tend to bleed. I went to a local doctor in california. They gave cortisone ointments, that I used to apply daily. However, the spots did not go away easily. Later, I was visiting overseas and decided to get a second opinion; the doctors made me undergo a complete checkup and determined that I was pre-diabetic (fasting sugar 123). They also mentioned that brown spots on my legs were "purpura". I continued on the treatment they had prescribed - 1 tablet of prednisolone, 1 tablet of sporidex (antibiotic), 1 tablet of anti-histamine. In addition, an ointment to apply on the legs. On this treatment, the spot became dim, but it has been over a year, but the spots have not completely vanished. I am a bit concerned because doctors in california diagnosed it as "secondary dermatitis" whereas the overseas doctors termed it as "Purpura". I still have faded brown spots on my lower leg and I wanted to check with you all. Thanks.
Itchy rash and purpura do not go together.In any case prednisolone would have helped you eitherway.I would have voted for the earlier diagnosis.