bruising on nail bed

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bruising on nail bed

What color does a nail bed bruising present? Is it a red color? I have this at the top of my ring finger and I think that I did have trauma. How long does brusing last?

Debbie
Avatar dr f tn
Hi.

Nailbed bruising may start as a red color and then may turn into a reddish blue color. It may end up looking like a dark spot beneath the nail. Bruising of the nail bed may be difficult to resolve since the spot may be present beneath the skin for quite sometime. I suggest that you have this assessed by your dermatologist. Dead skin beneath the nail bed may be responsible for the discoloration,  though as the nail continues to grow, you may readily clip away the affected nail and the skin beneath may be removed.

Is the area painful?

Does it involve the entire nail?