bump in lower inner lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bump in lower inner lip

what kind of docter should i see if i have a bump in my inner lower lip?

This discussion is related to Lump on the inside of my lower lip ??.
Avatar dr f tn

You may have this assessed by an internist or a dermatologist.If there are other associated signs and symptoms like pain, redness, fever and lip ulcerations, then you may need to see an internist for this.

Bumps in the lower lip may have mucocele, aphthous ulcers and cold sores as differentials.

Do you have the habit of biting the lower lip?
Avatar n tn
i also bit my lip a while back ago, and the same bump appeared on my lip. I ended up biting it a few more times before i realized what i needed to do is just leave it alone. so ive left it alone now for a while but it seems to stay. what should i do. and i cant get any medicle help at the moment. any help on how i can get it to go away on its own?
Avatar dr f tn

This bump may likely be a mucocele. I suggest that you just ave to continue observing this. The lump may persist for a while but may eventually revert to normal. However, for larger mucocele this may take a while. I suggest that you do not pick on the area or manipulate the area. This may only worsen the condition.

Mucocele are benign growths and they appear due to blocked salivary gland ducts. They may not need immediate intervention.
I am a dental surgeon. What you describe is a mucocele, which occurs if you inadvertently bite your lower lip and severe a minor salivary gland in the lip. They normally feel like tiny bumps on the inside of your lip- you can actually see them if you invert your lip (turn it inside out) and stretch it.

When you bite through one, the saliva pools in the lip. It can be clear or turn darker. It is nothing to worry about and goes away on its own after a few days, provided you don't keep biting it.
Avatar n tn

A red bump appeared on my 4 yrs old son. It worried me so i looked it up and its seems that is could be something called mucocele. Im really not sure what that really means but i was wondering if its something i should worry about?
Mucocele.  I went to several doctors and they said cold sore.  I doubted them so I went to an ENT.  He helped me so much so I recommend going to an ENT.  He was puzzled as to why I was sent to him for a skin condition but he knew what it was in a second.  He said I could have it taken off but he said it won't 'cause me problems if I don't.  Its been there for several years and I ignore it and keep my lips moisturized with aquaphor.