Dermatology Expert Forum
bump on roof of mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

bump on roof of mouth
Hi-- I have a strange bump, pimple-like, on the roof of my mouth.  It's pretty small, and in the mirror, it looks like a small bump, and it almost looks like there are maybe two other small bumps right by it, although I can't feel those with my tongue.

I am a sexually active, usually healthy 26 year old.  Is it possible that this bump is a symptom of an STD?  Or is it more likely just to be some sort of small thing, or just a pimple?

Thank you--
I doubt it's an STD.  I think that for definite diagnosis, however, you'll need to show it to someone, perhaps a dentists for starters.  If it's a cyst of some sort, which seems likely, it will stay there, so you should find out for sure what it it, so you can ignore it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
HI,

I AM GOING TO THE ENT ON WEDS TO HAVE SOMETHING REMOVED FROM MY UVULA...WAS TOLD IT IS A PAPILLOMA...CAUSED BY THE HPV VIRUS...IT IS FLESH COLORED, TINY 2MM, AND IS ON A STALK...

I HAD 3 ENT'S TELL ME THAT IT WAS NOT CANCEROUS AND I COULD COME BACK EVERY 3 MONTHS TO MONITOR IT...UH, I CAN MONITOR IT MYSELF IN THE MIRROR...I WANT IT OFF...I DONT WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY THINK, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS...

AFTER BEING ON THE ORAL CANCER WEBSITE AND FINDING OUT THAT SOME ORAL CANCERS ARE RELATED TO HPV, A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE THAT INFECTS (ESTIMATE) 75 MILLION AMERICANS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER IN THEIR LIFE TIMES, I AM GETTING IT REMOVED...

I ALSO FOUND SEVERAL ARTICLES THAT SAY THAT EARLY DETECTION AND TREATMENT IS THE KEY TO CATCHING AND CURING IT...SO...IN MY OPINION...AND EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION AND I AM NOT A DOCTOR..IF I WERE YOU MY BUTT WOULD BE AT THE DOCTOR ASAP...JUST TO BE SURE ITS NOTHING...I DONT DEAL WITH STRESS WELL AT ALL...AND I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION...

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING!
JOGIRL

A related discussion, nodules in th roof of my oral cavity/i have a bad tooth as well was started.