Dermatology Expert Forum
bump under mole?????

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

bump under mole?????

Dr Rockoff,
             Okay, here we go......I have a mole in my face on my left cheek. it has been there for several years (I am 28 yrs old) it is brown and appeared i believe in 2000.
              On Sat, Jan 28th I woke up and noticed the skin was pinkish-red around the mole and it appeared to have a "under the skin pimple" underneath the mole. It felt like there was a head to it about 1mm past the top of the mole. I became concerned to say the least!!!!  I squeezed it the next day and a small amount of puss-like material did come out.
              The bump and redness stayed unchanged until that Thursday morning. I woke up and alot of the redness was gone and it felt smaller.....good news!!!!  The bump/zit/pimple/whatever continued to get smaller for the next 2 days then seemed to stop.
               It is now Feb 14 and the bump is still there. It is probably 3 times smaller than it was the week it formed but it is still palpable. I had cystic acne as a child and thought perhaps it was a zit? I am worried about melanoma because it is near that mole. The mole hasn't changed in any of this. it hasn't changed color, it hasn't changed in size, doesn't itch or bleed.....just this distressing bump underneath kinda towards the top.
               My wife told me that melanoma affects the mole itself and not just the skin underneath or around......she said the mole should be changing if it was cancer...not just a bump that has gotten somewhat smaller.  Anyway................
               Just would like your advice on this issue.
It sounds like a pimple under a mole.  The inflammation of the pimple (plus the squeeze) leaves a knot of healing tissue that it takes the body a few weeks to reabsorb (if you leave it alone from now on.)  The pinkish-red color sounds like inflammation from a pimple, not cancerous change.  If it still looks funny to you after March 15th, show it to a doctor for definitive diagnosis.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Lump under mole was started.
A related discussion, mole was started.
A related discussion, Pimple under a mole was started.
A related discussion, new mole on new mole on cheek ? was started.