Dermatology Expert Forum
bumps behind my neck and on head
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

bumps behind my neck and on head

I have bumps on the back of my neck and for the last of couples of years they have spread onto the top and the sides of my head. In the last couple of months I have started getting them along my hair line. These bumps are painful too. I use to take Doxycyline for the problem but I stopped and the problem spread. If you need to know the history of my hair, I use to have a short hair cut but now I have let my hair grow out. Do you know what the problem is or do you have any advice?  Thanks
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
I'm not sure, but your condition sounds like folliculitis: inflammation of the hair follicles.  One can get this on the body too, but it sometimes affects the scalp.  It is not seborrhea or dandruff, and does not respond to dandruff shampoos and similar products.

My suggestion is that you see a dermatologist, who can culture the bumps for bacteria and treat accordingly.  In my own experience, the antibiotic erythromycin generally works well, as least in the short term.  Long-term suppression of the problem, at least wothout having to use oral antibiotics, can be more of a challenge.

But how you wear your hair, or clean and condition it, is not likely to be relevant.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, bums on the back of head was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Bumps on the back of my head was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker