bumps on face and scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bumps on face and scalp

For the last year I have began experiencing lumps on my scalp and face.  They look like a hive from some sort of allergy, there is no head, they are hard and typically red and itchy.  They only appear when I am exposed to the sun and most of the time it takes several weeks for the lumps to go away even when there is no repeated sun exposure.  I have treated them with OTC creams for allergy etc. with no results.  The rest of my body doesn't react to the sun this way.  One doctor told me it sounded as if it is some sort of sabaceous issue.  However, no derm has put much effort into my issue.  Any help???  
Tags: scalp
  • Sour Scalp (1 replies):
    I sweat (nerves) and my scalp sours very easily. What c...[more]
  • help!!!!! (1 replies):
    i need to know if coconut oil will help with sheborrheic...[more]
  • Itchy scalp (1 replies):
    How do you treat a severely itchy scalp?
  • dry scalp (1 replies):
    my son is 28 months he has eczema and I discover he has ...[more]
  • scalp trouble (2 replies):
    how can i stop my scalp from completely burning and get ...[more]
This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.
Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis
Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.
Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.
It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for his symptoms and a proper clinical examination if the symptoms persist.
Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.
Regards.