Dermatology Expert Forum
bumps on forehead after sun exposure

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

bumps on forehead after sun exposure

About 5 months ago I was on vacation in the caribbean, and got far more sun exposure than I normally do.  I developed small flesh covered bumps (looks like acne w/ minimal redness) across my forehead.  Otherwise, my face is clear of any acne.  While there has been improvement, they have not gone away.  I was in the sun this past weekend, and again they have gotten worse.
My dermatologist originally diagnosed this as rosacea, and put me on a cleanser containing sulfer, and a benzoyl peroxide and clyndomycin cream.  These have not helped.

Does this sound like rosacea to you.  I have very fair skin and do experience mild redness around my nose, but Im not sure that the forehead issue is related.

I can send pictures.

It sounds more like clogged pores of some sort, perhaps from the increased humidity you encountered while in the Caribbean.  You might ask your dermatologist to consider adding a mild exfoliant.  It might also be that your outbreak was just coincidental to the trip.  Either way, a modification of your regiment would seem to be in order after 5 months.  Perhaps Retina-A, or one of its relatives, might be worth considering.  Ask your dermatologist.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Anytime you get a rash from sun exposure, you should consider looking up a condition called "polymorphic light eruption".  This usually occurs on the arms, but can be anywhere your skin is exposed to light.  I'm surprised that Dr. Rockoff doesn't seem to have posted it in his other replies to people suffering from itchy rashes with small red bumps.  The itching can drive you near to insanity.  
There is no cure - the only thing that works is to cover your skin when you're outside.  Period.  I can get it through sunscreens of SPF45  and even through glass windows.  Yeah, I know it's rotten - especially since I'm into kayaking and love the beach.  Oh, well.
The "home remedy treatment that works best for me is to scratch the area very lightly until it just begins to get sore (not enough to tear the skin and give you scars or an infection!)  Then, spray a mist of Windex with ammonia in it, or rubbing alcohol.  The pain from the alcohol (which subsides rather quickly) seems to trick my brain into forgetting about the itch.  Good luck.
-Fellow sufferer
A related discussion, Sun bumps was started.
A related discussion, A whitish bump appears on forhead after sun exposure was started.