Dermatology Expert Forum
bumps on head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

bumps on head

Hello all! I don't have any allergies that I know of [I've been tested..], I've never gotten any rashes before and I'm a pretty clean person. ANYWAYS, for the past weeks I've had a very itchy head! [mostly just where my hair is]. there are some red bumps and the skin looks a little rashy. it's very hard to notice unless you are looking for it or I have been scratching recently.  also my ears feel a LITTLE buffy.  my diet hasn't changed, so I don't think it's that. I wash my pillow and sheets a lot.. I do dye my hair, but I have been with the same dye for months now.. hair product hasn't changed... any ideas? thanks so much!
-Rob
p.s. i'm 26, male.. don't know if that matters..
Could be dandruff, could be stress.  Why not try an over-the-counter dandruff shampoo like T-gel or Head and Shoulders.  Cleanliness doesn't have anything to do with this--if anything, too much cleaning is a bad idea.  Be gentle.  If this doesn't clear you up, a doctor will be able to prescribe something stronger.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I just realized it's not actually bumps!! it's way worse! when ever I scratch ANY part of my body [well, doesn't seem to be effecting the ummm 'sexual' areas] a red mark stays where I scratched!!! even if I don't scratch hard! this is NOT normal for me, and where ever I scratch is itchy.. I haven't really been outside, I didn't mow any lawns this year, so I know it's not poisen ivy or anything like that...
I left a msg with a family dr. but she wasn't in :-( ... I'm freaking out here..
It is normal for you--and for everyone.  Scratches leave red lines due to histamine release.  Sometimes they're more prominent than others.  Ask your doctor to have a look if you're worried.  Also, you can try an antihistamine like Claritin(no prescription), 10 mg per day, to see if that makes the red lines less bothersome.

Dr. Rockoff
I have small bumps near my hair line to.  They've been there for a long time and sometime they seem to flair up, but I have been itching for a long time.  I'm a "survivor" of itching...well maybe not really it's very bothersome and annoying.  It usually last for several months and goes away, but this last episode is still continuing, six months now.  I feel stupid bringing it up to my doctor, so most of the time I never mention it or the itching isn't happening while I'm at the visit, so I forget.  When I did mention my itching the last visit I tried to show here the small bumps, but she couldn't see them all she saw was a "microscopic" bump with here naked eye.  These bumps are still there and if I look at an angle in the mirror I see the bumps though they are not flaired or red, and if I look even closer I can see slight discoloration in the center almost like a pimple, but with no crown just an even bump with discolorations.  They sometimes flair up and I itch it more and sometimes the bumps get scraped from the itching.  Even though it may seem petty, I'm still concerned because itching with other symptoms can be something more than just itching.   I asked for benadyl, but I was told that that would help, "it would only make me sleepy."
A related discussion, bumps on head was started.
A related discussion, bumps in head was started.
A related discussion, Skins bubbled up! was started.
A related discussion, Wierd bumps on my head was started.
A related discussion, small bumps on head was started.
A related discussion, bumps behind my head was started.