bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bumps

i have red pus bumps in the back of my head.. it stated off as little bumps after getting a hair cut.. i put alcohol on it and it did nothing.. it seems to spread and itch very bad...WHAT IS THIS AND WHAT WILL GET RID OF IT.
Tags: bumps, head, itch
One possibility for such kind of bumps is acne keloidalis nuchae. The other possibility is folliculitis. Acne keloidalis occurs when hairs on the back of the head and neck grow into the skin, become inflamed, and cause scar tissue. These ingrown hairs usually occur following a short haircut on the back of the head and nape of the neck.

Treatment of AKN includes suppression of the inflammation with antibiotics and steroid gels or intralesional steroid injections.So apply antibiotic cream like Neosporin or bactroban. If the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics and steroids may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

Larger bumps of AKN present for a while or if not responding to treatments may need surgical removal. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

You cannot receive ingrown hairs immediately after your hair is cut.  I would check into it simply being a skin irritation or rash.  I'm no doctor, however, to even mention steroid injections/products at all, well, that isn't an appropriate comment per the person's question.
First off, you don't want to apply alcohol on a skin irritation.  It burns your already inflamed skin and could make it worse.  Second, I find that a applying a warm cloth or taking a warm shower will reduce irritation before shaving or receiving a haircut.  I also recommend applying salve or a lotion immediately to the area(s) you usually have inflamation (inflammation) problems at after a shave or haircut.
Again, I'm no doctor, simply just giving an alternative that works for me.  I believe most of the time it is a reaction to razor rash from clippers or an actual razor.
Notice how a doctor will almost always direct you to some sort of perscription or doctor visit for the simplest things.  Hm.  Gee, I wonder why.