bumpy rash on elbows

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bumpy rash on elbows

My 8 year old daughter has a bumpy rash on both of her elbows. They are not red, they are the same color as her skin and they are about the size of small pimples. The sometimes itch and she has had them for a few months. Her elbows are a bit dry. She does not like me to put anything on them, she says it burns. Any advice?
Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis,but it can be dyshidrotic eczema.
Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.
For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide) but seeing the age it is advisable to use mild steroids.

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

Thank you so much for your comment to my daughters problem. I googled dyshidrotic eczema and that doesn't sound like her case at all. I will continue my research and if all else fails I will definitely take her to see our Doctor. Thank you again for taking the time to respond, it is much appreciated :D
The other differential diagnosis that I can think of is Lichen nitidus.It is a chronic inflammatory disease of unknown etiology[1] characterized by 1-2 mm, discrete and uniform, shiny, flat-topped, pale flesh-colored or reddish-brown papules and usually effects young children.

It is a self limiting condition but if itching is present,glucocorticocoids can be tried.Other treatment options include PUVA, UVA/UVB phototherapy, astemizole, acitretin, and etretinate.

I hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your daughter is doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.
Could it be Keratosis pilaris?
My son has developed the same problem hince the start of school and drier weather . He tends to rest on his elbows alot and it sounds like contact dermetitis. The extra weight on the elbows tends to dry the skin more and also different detergents and materials can also irritate the skin. Stay with just cotton clothing and hydrocotisone.  I know its a habit, but tell her not to rest on the elbows while listening in school. My son does that to stay focused.  
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers