bumpy skin on child's arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bumpy skin on child's arm

My daugher has the bumpy feeling skin on her left arm.   It's only on one arm, it is not visible, so it seems under the skin.  It feel tough oppossed to the other arm that is smooth and soft like a baby's skin.  It has not gotten bigger or changed just curious there's a name for it or cause.  She has had it since birth.  It's on her bicep area.
This bumpy skin could be due to keratosis pilaris. It is a common genetic follicular condition that is manifested by the appearance of rough bumps on the skin like goose bumps and hence colloquially referred to as "chicken skin". Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.