burning,itching,painful,swollen foot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

burning,itching,painful,swollen foot

24hrs ago,the bottom middle of my right foot started to itch.3hrs later,it started to burn and swell.within 6hrs,the pain,swelling,itching,and burning traveled up my foot to my big toe, then on to my other toes.thinking it was athlete's foot,i bought some tinactin(which did not help at all),and read online that soaking in warm water with vinegar @ 30min intervals may help(did not help).i started spraying the tinactin even more,desperate for relief,with no relief whatsoever.by this time,the warm water and vinegar solution had cooled and the minute i stuck my foot in,the symptoms were gone.i figured it was the coldness of the water that worked,so i've been resting my foot on bags of frozen vegetables and ice all day,but the second my foot comes off the bag and begins to warm back up,the pain is so excrutiating that i rush right back to the frozen bag.throughout the day,the symptoms have now spread to my heel,as well.please help!i don't want to go to the er unless absolutely necessary!
Since the symptoms have appeared so suddenly, so it does not look like a fungal infection. It looks like an allergic reaction, insect bite or some cellulitis feet. Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort helps. For the itching please take some over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin.In case the symptoms persist then oral steroids or antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers