butt crack infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

butt crack infection

Mine was itchy and moist, but I didn't think much of it for several weeks until I noticed there was a new stink around me that I couldn't pinpoint. After yet another couple weeks I finally got the bright idea to wipe there (instead of just washing in shower), and the yellow slime was the clue that hit me. Duh, infection!

Not able to afford a doctor, I just took extra care of there (which I couldn't see, of course), and kept it coated with betadyne (iodine). This required some new dexterity, several minutes of drying time after applcation, and sometimes I taped gauze over it. After a week I got good at washing in shower, sitting on some newspaper or rag, swabbing on the iodine, drying off. Just took an extra 10 minutes a day, and after a few weeks I was "cured".

That was a couple years ago. I don't recommend that for everyone because I noticed a lot of hair coming out at first, so I had no idea if/how hair was interfering with healing. For iodine I settled on using Aplicare 4" Swabsticks gotten from eBay, good for regular first aid, too.

Now the oozing is back again, although it's white instead of yellow--at least today. (Does that mean my body's not fighting it yet? Scary.) So here I go again. But at least now I know it's not uncommon, and there's even different names for different variations of this condition. Is this location about where our tails used to come out, or what ? Google's great: "butt crack infection". Who woulda thunk?

This discussion is related to Butt Crack irritation.