chicken pox or allergic reaction

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

chicken pox or allergic reaction

My husband had hernia surgey about 3 weeks ago.  Exactly 2 weeks to the day after surgery he began to itch all over.  I assumed it was dry skin as the weather is turning colder and he works outside.  He had developed a chicken pox like rash on his torso and head.  We started treating for chicken pox.  It has been over a week and he still has these symptoms.  But the bumps never burst nor scabed over as chicken pox will do.  The spots and raised bumps are red in the morning but are barely visable when he gets home from work, although still itchy.  Have been covering his torso and arm pits, neck, chest, upper arms with calamine lotion twice a day after showering.  Also taking benedrill for the itch.  Not sure if this is chicken pox or an allergic reaction to the mesh net for the hernia.  He is 43 years old.  Any help is appreciated.

Since these itchy bumps started after the hernia surgery, so chances of it being an allergic reaction( although rare to the mesh used) is more rather than chicken pox. Had it been chicken pox, the pustules would have been scabbed by now.My sincere advice is to consult a dermatologist and get an evaluation done. Till then he can keep on applying the calamine lotion as it will sooth the skin.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.