chronic chapped lips
After loosing about 30 lbs too quickly, I started losing hair and having SEVERELY chapped lips. I stopped dieting and started taking multi-vitamins, and a B supplement.  My symptoms eased but my lips are still chapped and peeling.  I recently started taking a biotin supplement after hearing it helped with hair growth, thinking it would also help with my lips. What else can I take to fix this problem?  

My dermatologist does not have a solution, and when I told him about my weight loss, he agreed it was likely related and figured the vitamins would fix it.  it has been 4 months and I still have chapped and peeling lips (though they are better) please don't offer a topical solution, I use all the best.

thx

This discussion is related to Extremely Chapped Lips.

Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies do cause stomatitis or cheilitis. I suggest that you continue with your vitamin supplements. Also, it is not enough to take the supplements. A healthy and well balanced diet with adequate water intake are necessary.

Was an underlying fungal or bacteria infection ruled out?

Also, do you have other associated conditions like diabetes?

Observe your symptoms as you continue to improve your diet. Avoid direct heat, spicy food and hot beverages. Use also a mild toothpaste (  those which contain low fluoride levels).

You need to drink plenty of water and also keep your lips well moisturized. Apply a medicated lip balm with a sunscreen to avoid damage due to the sun.

If your lesions still persist, it would be best to see a skin specialist for a confirmed diagnosis and to rule out any other cause of the spot.

Are you allergic to any substances? What symptoms do you have other than the lip lesion? What is your age? Do you smoke?

Let us know if you have any other doubts and also about what the specialist advises.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Biotin can help chapped lips.  Because it is expensive, many multivitamins don't contain much of it and so they can actually make a deficiency worse.  Try taking 5 miligrams a day for a week or two and see if that helps.  Manganese may also help.