Dermatology Expert Forum
chronic itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

chronic itching

I am 43 yo female. About 1 year ago, I started having an itch around the rectal area. Just one area, and pretty mild, but bothersome. Went to MD, gave me fungal/steroid cream.I had been using Canasa suppository for mild proctitis( had colonoscopy in 2008), and I just thought it was the leaking of the suppository that caused the itch.  I used  the cream  for a year, on and off. About 2 months ago, I noticed that it was more bothersome. Saw the mild hemorrhoids,( 4 kids in 5 years) tried high fiber ( I'm not constipated, but I thought it would help), tried tux,  baby wipes, sitz baths, waxing( thought maybe it was from the hair follicles)but nothing works
...
Stopped the suppositories, proctitis symptoms of loose stool etc...went away.

So I saw the MD again, this time, he gave me 2.5% hydrocortisone cream BID...said it would go away in a week. Well, it's been about 3 weeks, and it's better, but still there...the itch is so annoying. If I put the cream on in the am and pm, it seems to keep it at bay, but I just don't think it's good to keep doing that?
I don't have any rectal bleeding, discharge, pain, stomach pain etc...I did  have a little cut now from all the rubbing, scratching etc...which is why I figured I needed to get some advice.There really isn't any rash, reddness, swelling, bumps, or lesions.If you look at the area, you would see the hemorrhoids, if they are "out", but that's it...
The MD and the gastro saw it, and both said I have internal hemorrhoids.Didn't seem too concerned.
I can see the hemorrhoids, too, they don't look so bad, only one is a little red and swollen, but "inside" if that makes any sense. They don't bother me at all, no pain, no burning, nothing...it's the itch that is bothering me.

So is there anything else that I can do? I'm kind of at a loss for this?

Rectal itch is often chronic, meaning that you need to treat it from time to time.  The hemorrhoids don't sound severe, and I don't think they are directly related to the itch.  More than likely, you'll use the hydrocortisone off and on as needed.  That, plus mild handling of the area (which you're already doing) are all you need to do.  The matter doesn't deserve any more of your attention.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
so im 19 i was in a car crash 2 yrs ago after that night i had head aches, vision problems then my legs kept itching hip down both legs and i have tried everything... i Don't HAVE dry skin, water doesn't bother me and shaving my legs i have no issues with and my legs are Very smooth... the only thing that helps is a very very hot shower point that i think it is boiling water. i went to the doc he gave me cream and said it would clear up well it got worse. i just dont know what to do there is no rash or bumps just really itches to the point that i bleed and have scars from.......
I have been scratching on and off for 5 years. it feels like a million tiny bugs coming up thru my arms.left and right from my shoulders to my elbows. Ive been to lots of dermos tken oral and used all sorts of topical creams no help. I was told it is from stress. is this true and how can I control this..its so bad at times that it will wake me up out of a deep sleep! can you help?