circular rash on hand

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

circular rash on hand

My grandson who is 8 yrs old got a circular rash after it started with a couple of dots on top of his right hand.My daughter took him to the regular MD and told her it wasn't ringworm. He said it was probably from poison ivy so he gave my grandson some steroid ointment to apply on the rash but it didn't help. So back to the doc he went and he couldn't explain why it hadn't helped so he gave my daughter some steroid pills!!! which doesn't make sense to me.My grandson still has the circular rash and not going away!! What could it be?? My daughter has a 2 dogs outside the home but the doc said it wasn't from them! Help!! Maybe he needs a specialist to look at the rash???
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Has your grandson ever been exposed to any chemicals, any substances which he could have touched accidentally?

Any insect bites in the body?

Is the rash itchy?
When did you first notice the rash?

This may be a fungal infection as your physician has noted. A dermatitic condition such as dishydrotic eczema may also be a differential. Dishydrosis may start as whitish vesicles which may itch and present with a weeping rash. Is this applicable to your grandson's case?

A referral to an infectious disease specialist may help.
My daughter first notice the rash on my grandson's hand 3 weeks ago. And yes it is itchy. No chemicals or insect bites exposure. I saw the rash yesterday and his skin is peeling off only because he scratches it but I told him just to try not to scratch...I gaave him some tea tree oil soap for his hands. My daughter is still applying the steroid cream. I will tell her to get a refferal for a specialist.