Dermatology Expert Forum
circular rash on trunk and arms that doesn't itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My son is in his late teens and has many small, circular spots on his chest, back and inside arms. Mostly flat, some a very tiny bit raised.  Each spot is about half the size of a dime, some smaller, some almost as large as a dime - mostly perfectly round, some a bit more irregular.  They perhaps itch a tiny bit occasionally, but for the most part don't itch at all.  He is light skinned and the spots are very light pink to tan. He tells me he has had this off and on inside his arm for six months, but now it is covering his trunk.  He's refusing to go to a doctor and says it will go away again - and the spots inside his arm have already disappeared again (but he's had it for a couple weeks this time, all over his body...)  I have studied every kind of round/circular rash - and looked at photos.  Everything looks more irregular and/or more inflamed than this.  It's barely visible, and the shape is extremely regular - circular - like ringworm, but it is not more red on the outside than inside - the spots are uniformly colored.  Nothing on his neck or face whatsoever.   Thank you for your help.
Sounds like tinea versicolor.  This is a non-ringworm fungus common on the chests and backs of teens.  Not contagious--it just lives in our follicles, and sometimes makes the skin lighter or darker.  Easy to treat.  One way to do it at home is to apply Selsun Blue and leave it on overnight.  Repeat nightly for one week.  Note: it takes many months for the color to even out even after the treatment, but the color does come back.  If it doesn't respond, he can see a doctor if he wants to.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
That kind of sounds like what I have, but not really sure. I am 29 years old and I have no medical problem at all and not even a mediacal issue with my famuly background. I have noticed in the past 3 month I have seen little tiny bumps on the forarm and the right part of my wrist. and a little have crawled right under my ring finger where my knuckle is at. Then I notice it was on my leg and my calf muscle.. Then it was on my ankle. It look like a ringworm but the doctor said that it is not.. I have put Cortaid Creame and Corlizone 10 on it as well... STILL NOTHING!! It seemed like it is not going away. I even put some ointment on it also..STILL NOTHING!! Now I see little tiny bumps on my stomach and all over my lower back.. What is this?? It is really scaring me roe real. Like I said it looks like little tiny ringworms but it is not.. Any suggestions on how to treat this?  PLEASE!!
A related discussion, How to treat non-itchy rash? was started.
A related discussion, pitiriroirosis rosia (sp?) was started.