clogged hair folicles on head that hurt

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

clogged hair folicles on head that hurt

I have been getting these bumps on my scalp for about 4 years.  My head will itch in an area and then the bumps come.  They'll hurt and if I pull out the hairs in the bump they'll have this coating on the end of the hair.  And once they are out the bump and pain goes away and the hair grows back just fine.  But the last couple of months I've been getting a lot of them in large areas, It's like it just spreads from one point across my head and doesn't stop, every day more seems to come up and it spreads out.  I've gotten similar things in my pubic hair.  I've had a hysterectomy and gall bladder this year and my system has gone through several upheavals.  It used to happen right before my cycles and go away after I would start.  I've tried talking to doctors and they ignore it.  I have an extremely high stress going on right now between 2 jobs and health issues this year.  I had a round of shingles in january that were treated and went away.  I would really like this to stop and don't want to go bald.  any help would be appreciated.

I'm being treated for hypothyroid and going through allergy testing as well.  I've recently started taking Prilosec OTC.  Thank you.

Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough,but it sounds like folliculitis or boils. Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. The condition may occur anywhere on the skin.It starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. . Hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams, petroleum jelly, or similar products are more vulnerable to infection. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle.

Apply warm compresses on the bumps and keep the area clean.Drainage of the bump is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head.Take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription.If there are recurrent boils,then pls get your blood sugar levels estimated.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards.

The way I get rid of them is pulling out that one hair or couple of hairs that have a bulb at the end of it. Once they are gone it goes away but for some reason they will come back in the same spot....? That's my experience. Eye brow too. Fyi they can get infected and just bare with it
Oh and if their are a lot of those bulb hairs u will get a slight bald spot but hair will grow back