cluster blisters

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

cluster blisters

I don't know if this is dermatological, neurological, or something altogether different. For the past couple of years I will suddenly start itching all over my body, head to toe. The itching is so intense I end up scratching holes in myself. After about a week of itching I develope a small quarter size area of tiny cluster blisters on my upper right thigh. They are filled with clearish liquid, itch and is very painful. After a day or so the area where the blisters are turns red and "legs" appear (the rash looks like it is following a vein or nerve, but the blisters do not move). The pain becomes intense and makes my whole right thigh sensitive to the touch. The blisters eventually burst, crust over and heal after a week or two. I have seen doctors at the VA. They did a culture and said it is not herpes or any sort and have no idea what it is. They basically told me to learn to live with it. That can't be right. I need to know if anyone has had or has heard of someone having this. What is it and how do I treat it. Please help. If this is not dermatological please refer me to someone who can help.
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be pompholyx, herpetic lesions or panniculitis. Pompholyx is also called dyshidrotic eczema and can be triggered by allergies. It is characterized by a sudden onset of many deep-seated pruritic, clear vesicles which itch and then peel off. As a result the skin may also fissure. Panniculitis is inflammation of the fat under the skin. The diagnosis is established by a skin biopsy.

I suggest you to get an examination done from a dermatologist and get a biopsy skin done to confirm the diagnosis.
I hope it helps . Take care and regards.

Do I need to wait for a breakout for the biopsy or will it exist in the body without symptoms all the time? Sorry it took so long to het back to you. I wrote to so many people about this for help I lost this page, plus I had a baby. This couldn't pass on to my baby, could it?
You need to get biopsy done when you are having active lesions. To test for herpes, culture of the virus, direct fluorescent antibody (DFA) studies to detect virus, skin biopsy, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to test for presence of viral DNA can be done. I sincerely advise you to consult a dermatologist and get it ruled out.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.