cold sores and kissing

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

cold sores and kissing

So I realize that there's always a risk of getting cold sores if you kiss someone with them on the mouth... what if he just kisses you *away* from the mouth?  How far away is safe enough not to have to worry about it?

Thanks!!
Oral herpes is caused by herpes simplex virus.It can be transmitted by oral sex,kissing or even by touching the infected saliva,mucus membrane or skin of the infected indicidual.So if someone with oral herpes kisses you on the skin and away from mouth also,you can get it.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries.
Thank you so much for your quick response!  If you don't mind answering a few more questions:  What exactly is the risk of me getting oral herpes?  He doesn't have any cold sores right now.   Is it that likely that I'll get them as long as he kisses my face/neck but not mouth?  And what's the risk if we actually do kiss (mouth-to-mouth)?

Thanks again very much!
See,oral herpes can alsobe transmitted by herpes simplex virus even when the person is not showing any symptoms or is in the asymptomatic stage but is still shedding the virus.If the person concerning had herpes earlier,then also you are at risk of contacting the disease.Risk is greatest when mouth to mouth contact is there,but it can also be transmitted even by skin contact.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.