computer mouse dermatitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

computer mouse dermatitis

I use my laptop and wireless mouse (no mouse pad) 6-8 hours a day.  A few months ago my fingers in right hand developed excema/dematitis dryness and cracking in exactly the same parts where my right hand rests on my cordless mouse.  I also have milder symptoms in my left hand exactly where it rests on the edge of my laptop.  What can I do?  wear gloves of some type?  I have been using corstisone cremes etc with no success.  Any suggestions?
Avatar n tn
does it start as circular blisters?
Avatar n tn
I use a rollerball mouse that arches high, so my hand rests on it alot, gets kind of warm.  i work 10-12 hours a day. sometimes a rash flares up and actually develops into dyshydrosis excema with bumps on my palms and sides of fingers that itch terribly.  An oral prescription of prednisone clears it up like a miracle drug while the cremes did very little.  My Dr says to keep my hands cool and he will call in new short-term prescription as needed with future flare-ups.  I turned an under-desk fan onto my mouse are that seems to help, and I now concentrate on not laying my hands on the mouse and even keyboard for long periods of time
Avatar dr f tn

How are you?

You may try to change the mouse. This seems to be a contact allergic dermatitis probably to a material in the mouse. You may change the mouse and see if this continues to occur. Continue with topical medications. Chronic inflammatory skin conditions like contact allergic dermatitis may persist and recur given certain triggers. You may take oral antihistamines for the itchiness, use a different mouse, or you may use gloves (the material of which you are not allergic to) if necessary. However, use the gloves only when the dermatitis has completely healed. The warmth and moisture may only cause further irritation
Avatar n tn
Hi, I've developed some form of excema which first appeared on my right wrist and now I am developing circular blister-like excema on my arms and shoulders. I have never suffered with excema before and just realised that the area of my wrist and top of hand started to develop after buying an Apple Mighty Mouse which I probably use around 5 hours a day. Nothing has developed on my fingers so I wonder if this is related to the mouse? Any thoughts? Many thanks.
Avatar n tn
Interesting to see that I'm not the only one.
I  recently discovered why I was having eczema blisters at the end of my right ring finger, inside. Exactly where my finger is in contact with the mouse.
It may be the plastic or the dirt on it since I never clean it... I don't know I'll try cleaning it before switching to a wooden organic mouse ;)
Avatar n tn
wow thought iwas alone in this!!!! i too have developed a small blister like rash, on my right hand exactly where i have my hand on my mouse, my work is currently trying to source a mouse that isnt made of plasitc of rme so any help much appreciated!
Avatar n tn
many people are developing EMS (electro-magnetic sensitivity) from using high tech (computers, cell phones, ipads, etc etc.).  you need to check out EMS info on computer. it's become a recognized sensitivity and can cause a myriad of physical and mental problems, none that should be overlooked as it can develop into a very serious problem ( polarity reversal, body organs affected, etc. etc.)   Annie Hopper has a program that works with MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) and EMS (electro-magnetic sensitivites) - check out www.annie hopper.com or DNRS (dynamic neural retraining system) for good info. the medical field seems still to be very ignorant of this very real problem.
I have this same  contact allergy. It is caused by a benzoate type chemical in the plastics that is added to stop the plastic degrading from UV light.
The only solution I have found is to wear cotton gloves, or if you are feeling creative you can make a cover for your mouse.
If only there were some way we could ban this chemical.
I have been on vacation and my finger had cleared up some and back to work tody and already can feel/see this flaring up again.  So decided to google this and saw this site, yea!!!!  I think I'll try to put some kind of sticky gauze on my mouse, but still a real problem and pain.  I have a prescribed ointment I have been using but only at night since it gets all over everything.  Is there a "natural" mouse available?  Thanks!  
I have an Apple MightyMouse, a wireless Bluetooth mouse with the small rubber scroll wheel.  Whenever I use the mouse for more than an hour per day I get tiny dry white blisters and cracked skin on the tip of my right index finger. It goes away within a week or two. I have cleaned the mouse with alcohol weekly.  That does not seem to help.  

I also use an iPad and that exacerbates the skin problem on my fingertip.  I try to use a different finger, use a stylus, or put a bandaid on the cracked dry skin to help me remember not to use that finger.

It's very annoying, because I have to use the computer for my work.

Glad to know that I am not the only one.

I guess I will try a different mouse.
Been using that same mouse for about three years. Contact dermatitis first occurred about six months ago.
Thank you, Lisa.  And I know I'm responding long after you wrote this, but I just found it, because I've had this strange rash on my right palm for awhile now, and today it occurred to me that my hand is on a Magic Mouse for many hours a day.  It's so weird that people question what the mouse is made of and not the fact that there's a constant radiation flow to your hand with a wireless mouse.  Radiation emissions are a serious problem in today's world.  
I would stay away from wireless devices as much as possible if I were you.  Cleaning the mouse won't get rid of the electromagnetic emissions.
Morons...   It's bacteria build up on the surface of the mouse..

You need to put Lotrimin antifungal on your hand and clean your mouse with rubbing alcohol daily..   I get this too and the cream will get rid of it..
Avatar n tn
I have a really itchy rash on the palm of my hand it starts like dry white skin and itches and bumps deep inside my palm have decided to get rid of plastic mats and try a wood mouse if htere is one.