Dermatology Community
concerned about prednisone prescription for poison oak
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

concerned about prednisone prescription for poison oak

I contacted poison oak and after initial symptoms bought an over the counter remedy > 2 fold facial scrub / cleanser. This aggrevated the symptoms and my face swelled, eye closed, rash on neck etc.

I was given a script of prednisone 60 mg x 2 days, 40mg x 5 days, 20 mg x 2 day. I took the first (60 mg) dose and was advised to investigate side effects later by a friend. The side effects are scary and I regret taking the first dose as weening is a problem. I am going to call a pharmacist to see if I can reduce to 60 x 1, 40 x 2, 20 x 1 10 (1/2) x 1. I would chose the longer interval for cure as apposed to uneccesary risk. My main concern is I diabetes runs in our family. Although I don't currently have it a future likelyness is high. Other concerns have me convinced are for long term users only.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi there, it sounds like what your doc prescribed is similar to a medrol dose-pack where you decrease dosage of meds gradually. You are on this for such a short time, I really doubt you will experience many side effects or problems withdrawing. I have been on doses like this several times for hives and had no problems afterwards.

Good luck,

Hudson
Blank
Hello,sorry to hear about your poison Oak.
My daughter is 8 and had a severe allergic reaction to poision sumac and was put on the exact same thing as you. (prednisone)
The only side effects I noticed were increased eating and a slightly hostile attitude (lol).
Make sure you ween off just as the doctor says and you will be fine. =)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...