concerned about prednisone prescription for poison oak

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I contacted poison oak and after initial symptoms bought an over the counter remedy > 2 fold facial scrub / cleanser. This aggrevated the symptoms and my face swelled, eye closed, rash on neck etc.

I was given a script of prednisone 60 mg x 2 days, 40mg x 5 days, 20 mg x 2 day. I took the first (60 mg) dose and was advised to investigate side effects later by a friend. The side effects are scary and I regret taking the first dose as weening is a problem. I am going to call a pharmacist to see if I can reduce to 60 x 1, 40 x 2, 20 x 1 10 (1/2) x 1. I would chose the longer interval for cure as apposed to uneccesary risk. My main concern is I diabetes runs in our family. Although I don't currently have it a future likelyness is high. Other concerns have me convinced are for long term users only.
Avatar n tn
Hi there, it sounds like what your doc prescribed is similar to a medrol dose-pack where you decrease dosage of meds gradually. You are on this for such a short time, I really doubt you will experience many side effects or problems withdrawing. I have been on doses like this several times for hives and had no problems afterwards.

Good luck,

Hudson
Avatar n tn
Hello,sorry to hear about your poison Oak.
My daughter is 8 and had a severe allergic reaction to poision sumac and was put on the exact same thing as you. (prednisone)
The only side effects I noticed were increased eating and a slightly hostile attitude (lol).
Make sure you ween off just as the doctor says and you will be fine. =)