Dermatology Expert Forum
concerned

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

concerned

doctor,

I had a risky encounter with a girl about 4 months ago that i regret so much to this day.  After that I became concerned about everything that I could have caught from her (mainly herpes and HIV).  One thing that is concerning me the most at this time is HIV.  I have done some research on the symptoms and that's what got me all concerned.  One of the symptoms I read was a sore throat.  I have had a mild sore throat for around 2 weeks now I guess.  It doesnt really hurt that bad but it's noticable.  Mostly when I wake up and before I go to bed.  During the day it doesn't seem to bother me as much.  I also have an even milder random cough.  Something like someone would do to clear their throat once in a while.  So now that I have these symptoms I'm all worried.  Should I be worried?  Is this type of sore throat consistent with symptoms of HIV?  I know there are many other things that could cause a sore throat but HIV is on my mind.  I'm just worried because I thought this irritation would have went away by now or something.  Thanks for your input.
No, you shouldn't be worried.  Worry is making your throat feel sore.

That's my best guess, in any case.  You should see an STD specialist and be evaluated for all of them, including HIV.  Since HIV conversion can take up to 6 months, you might have to repeat the test, but the sooner you go, the faster you can stop worrying.  And you may have a viral or perhaps bacterial or allergic sore throat which can be treated.

In the future, of course, you'll be more careful . . .

Dr. Rockoff