constant welts an itchyness

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

constant welts an itchyness

For as long as I can remember I have had sensitive skin - However in the past few years it seems to get worse and worse. I constantly feel a mild itch on my arms, legs, back and face and when I do scratch it in the slightest I come up with huge red marks as if I have scratched really hard. The marks will welt up and stay for around 10 minutes after contact.

Sometimes I get welts from the smallest things - I took my sunglasses off today and where they brushed across my cheek I was left with a long raised scratch that looked as if I had been in some sort of fight. Somebody can gently take me by the arm and I am left with a raised red mark where their hand has been.

Sometimes I feel like I'm allergic to everything - but it's just my skin - no head cold symptoms at all.

I didn't do anything about it before because it was manageable, but recently it's getting so bad. After the huge mark on my face today from my sunglasses, I started to think this is not normal! It doesn't hurt at all, but the itching is hugely irritating. I'm not sure about spending cash to see a dermatologist, as I worry they will just tell me I have sensitive skin (which I already know) and end up wasting my time.

Anyone heard of this before?
These welts that come and go can be due to hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Also use cotton clothes and change the clothes twice if there is any increased sweating. Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid. For the itching antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin can be taken. Applying calamine lotion also helps in soothing the skin.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done by a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.