Dermatology Expert Forum
contagious skin rashes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

contagious skin rashes
I work at a restaraunt, and have a coworker who was covered with small red dots all over the arms, which he explained were caused do to inflammation of the blood vessels. i have looked as far as i know how to on the web, and in a times/life home medical book, but have found nothing to coincide with this explanation. i do not know if the rash is also located on other parts of his body. He specified a name for this, although i dont remember it nor, do i know how to spell it. I am wondering if you can tell me if there is such a disorder caused by inflammmation of the blood vessels that would cause such a rash. being in food service, this has me concerned, not only for the customers, but for myself as far as whether he is contagious. there are too many communicable diseases these days. my superiors have not asked for any doctor verification, which also has me concerned.
Katherine:

Yes, there are several variants of what is called vasculitis, or inflammation of the blood vessels.

Most rashes "look" contagious, especially red ones, even more especially in food-service contexts.  I am confident that your co-worker's physician wouldn't let him back to work with a contagious condition.  As for the customers, if your superiors aren't worried about putting them off, I think you be relaxed about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
i would have hoped you could be more specific with your answer,  i am still not comfortable, i also know he is gay, and i just think  you  could have eased my fears more than you did, such as a name of such  conditions. i would recognize it if i heard it ,  but thank you
that is not the name he gave for the condition
my  superiors did not look into it that much because they are constantly short on help, i  am really worried about this probably more so than they  are
Katherine, you sound a bit paranoid. Although being cautious is understandable the doctor gave you sound advice and futher advised that "if your superiors aren't concerned then you should relax."  If your co-worker's condition concerns you that much then maybe you should seek employment elsewhere and stop trying to find fault in someone just because of their sexual preference.
i am concerned about a skin rash my son has had for thelast 2 evenings. has anyone heard of roseoli ? Please help it went away and now it is back.
A related discussion, Hmmm... was started.
A related discussion, Unknown rash was started.