Dermatology Expert Forum
contagious skin rashes
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

contagious skin rashes

I work at a restaraunt, and have a coworker who was covered with small red dots all over the arms, which he explained were caused do to inflammation of the blood vessels. i have looked as far as i know how to on the web, and in a times/life home medical book, but have found nothing to coincide with this explanation. i do not know if the rash is also located on other parts of his body. He specified a name for this, although i dont remember it nor, do i know how to spell it. I am wondering if you can tell me if there is such a disorder caused by inflammmation of the blood vessels that would cause such a rash. being in food service, this has me concerned, not only for the customers, but for myself as far as whether he is contagious. there are too many communicable diseases these days. my superiors have not asked for any doctor verification, which also has me concerned.
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Katherine:

Yes, there are several variants of what is called vasculitis, or inflammation of the blood vessels.

Most rashes "look" contagious, especially red ones, even more especially in food-service contexts.  I am confident that your co-worker's physician wouldn't let him back to work with a contagious condition.  As for the customers, if your superiors aren't worried about putting them off, I think you be relaxed about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
7 Comments
Blank
i would have hoped you could be more specific with your answer,  i am still not comfortable, i also know he is gay, and i just think  you  could have eased my fears more than you did, such as a name of such  conditions. i would recognize it if i heard it ,  but thank you
Blank
that is not the name he gave for the condition
Blank
my  superiors did not look into it that much because they are constantly short on help, i  am really worried about this probably more so than they  are
Blank
Katherine, you sound a bit paranoid. Although being cautious is understandable the doctor gave you sound advice and futher advised that "if your superiors aren't concerned then you should relax."  If your co-worker's condition concerns you that much then maybe you should seek employment elsewhere and stop trying to find fault in someone just because of their sexual preference.
Blank
i am concerned about a skin rash my son has had for thelast 2 evenings. has anyone heard of roseoli ? Please help it went away and now it is back.
Blank
A related discussion, Hmmm... was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Unknown rash was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank