could depilatory cream have damaged my upper lip?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi! I used a depilatory cream to remove upper lip hair and now I can't feel my upper lip! It's numb! and it's been so for 3 days now. It is not the first time I used it, I followed the instructions and have never had this reaction before and no where else in my face appears to be a problem, except my upper lip. There is also a minor inflammation ( can only see it from closeup). I have tan skin so It's hard to know if there is mild redness on it. I felt a little tingling on my upper lip after removing it and it became later numb and has remained so three days latter.    
From the symptoms it looks like irritant contact dermatitis to the cream. Avoid using any lotions and creams over the face for the meantime. Wash your face with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat your face dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves.If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort.

If the irritation persists then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing
Thank you so much! It is getting much better and I have now some feeling or less numbness on my upper lip...Yikes! THAT was scary! I realize now what a wonderful thing is to have lips that feel!...:)