Dermatology Expert Forum
craters on face after mole removal

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

craters on face after mole removal

Five days ago I had four moles the size of a pen cap removed from my face.  The result is increadibly unsightly, so far dramatically worse than the moles.  Two are scabbed and two are not, the unscbbed ones are the worst.  They are huge craters in the middle of my face, are bright red and go several layers into my skin.  Please advise me on the healing process, what I can expect, and what I can do to reduce scarring.  I'm feeling a bit skeptical of my dermatologist at this point and have already spent a ton of money.

Thanks for your time.
Lydia:

You can't really tell at this point what the spots will look like when they heal--it takes a few weeks.  I'm not surprised that they look scabbed and unpleasant a few days after the surgery, but that doesn't mean they won't heal just fine.

Of course, I don't know what technique your dermatologist used.  You really should consider calling him or her up and asking.  I understand your skepticism, but really, the best way to get a read on what's going on is to ask the doctor who performed the procedure what the likely healing course is supposed to be.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I had a biopsy done in one of my moles.  Now in the middle of the mole I have color skin.  I want to know how much does a mole removal cost.