DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
crotch and scrotom itch
by hurlup, Jan 27, 2009
i have a really bad itch in the crotch and scrotom area. ive also noticed that
my skin is peeling in that area as well. what might this problem be?
Member Comments (1)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Dr SantosBlank, Jan 28, 2009
Itching in the crotch or scrotum may be due to  irritation, skin diseases or infection such as bacterial or fungal causes. In particular, Jock itch or tinea cruris is an infection of the groin area caused by fungus and may present as itching in groin, thigh skin folds, or anus, red, raised, scaly patches and abnormally dark or light skin.  Diagnosis is usually with skin scrapings from the lesion and evaluated under the microscope.  This condition responds well to self-care within a couple of weeks, such as keeping the skin clean and dry, wearing loose clothing ans applying topical over-the-counter antifungal or drying powders. However, if it persists, I would recommend that you have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Stronger prescription medications may be indicated. Take care and keep us posted.