Dermatology Expert Forum
cystic acne on chin and around mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

cystic acne on chin and around mouth

I am 33 years old now and I have been battling acne for 20 years now, actually I have scars on my cheeks.  I have had occasional breakouts which are really cystic.  After I turned 30, my acne has been always on my chin and around the mouth, my cheeks and forehead had been clear of acne.  I am just wondering why on my chin and peiorally? I have tried everything Proactive,topical atbs, I have tried the tetracyclenes, erythromycin, nothing worked, even the differin gel and retin a. If they were just small breakouts, it would probably be better, but they are so big and red and painful.  I am an RN in an acute hospital, and you probably know the embarassment when I face my patients and coworker.  I just want my face to clear. I have read about accutane, but I don't know if that would be the last resort?  I would really appreciate your input.  Thank you.
Post-adolescent acne is actually quite common.  I don't know why in women this tends to affect the chin and jaw in particular, but it seems to.  In any case, the treatments you've tried are appropriate,m but if they've been used long enough to convince your dermatologist that they have failed, then Accutane would indeed be a reasonable option, and quite likely to help a great deal, or perhaps even end your problem altogether.  Accutane needs to be used with care (avoiding pregnancy for 6 months, checking lipid levels), but most patients tolerate the 20-week course with ease, and are very happy with results.  Accutane has a track record extending back 25 years.  I think you should explore this with your skin doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
It sounds like your breakouts are pretty severe, but I can tell you that I am 39 and only a year or so ago, I began to have breakouts on my neck and chin like never before.  They definitely seem to be hormone related.  I began to apply Oxy 10 cream on my chin and upper neck area about a week to 10 days before my period was supposed to begin.  I would do it at night after cleansing and then apply a non-greasy moisturizer like L'Oreal's "Pure Zone".  I was amazed at the results but the key was applying it the week before my period and then continuing it for the duration of my period.  I had some acne as a teenager but my skin cleared up beautifully throughout my 20s and early 30s.  Once I hit my mid-30s, new problems started that completely took me by surprise.    Good luck to you!