dark line on middle left nail
IN 2005, ON MY LEFT MIDDLE FINGER, I NOTICED A DARK THICK LINE APPEARING. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN ON MY TOE NAILS, THIN DARK LINES STARTED APPEARING. AT LEAST 7 OUT OF 10 TOES ARE DARK. I WENT TO THE DERMATOLOGIST AND HE SAID THAT HE DOESNT THINK ITS CANCEROUS. I WOULD JUST LIKE A 2ND OPINION [PRETTY SURE LIKE EVERY ONE ELSE]. IT RUNS IN MY FAMILY. I AM AFRICAN AMERICAN BUT HAVE ALOT OF OTHER CULTURES MIXED IN ME. I JUST WONDER WHY IT POP'D OUT OF NO WHERE AND IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO GET RID OF IT? AND IS IT CANCEROUS?

This discussion is related to dark lines on nails.
These black lines can be due to can be due to longitudinal melanonychia(presence of a pigmented stripe, usually brown or black, along the length of the nail bed in darker-skinned individuals, splinter hemorrhages or Beau’s lines(they are horizontal lines of darkened cells and depression).Without examination, it is difficult confirming a diagnosis and so I would suggest a dermatologist’s evaluation.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing. Warm regards.