Dermatology Expert Forum
dark lines on nails

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

dark lines on nails
I have black and red lines on my thumb nails,and have been told  that it is a symptom of something but no one knows what it is. Can you tell me?
Marie:

Most lines on the nails mean either minor trauma or nothing at all.  "Black and red" doesn't remind me of anything I've seen, though.  Perhpas you should show your internist or dermatologist.  But if you're otherwise healthy, there's probably no problem.

best.

Dr. Rockoff
Y.M
Iv'e also got a black line going through my thumb nail, but i don't know what it is and how to get rid of it.
A related discussion, dark line on middle left nail was started.
A related discussion, Melononychia was started.
A related discussion, thick, black, raised  nail was started.