Dermatology Expert Forum
dark patches of skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

dark patches of skin

My son, 29 years of age, has dark patches that started just on his side, but are now spreading all over his body. He is half Italian, and dark skinned anyway, but these large patches of skin are noticably darker. They appear and feel somewhat raised, as if the skin is thicker there, but no itching or rash.

Any idea what this could be?? He has no insurance and can't afford to see a doctor at this time, and we would like to know if it sounds like something that could be threatening to his health and well being.

Thanks for your time,,,,,,
Susan:

It doesn't sound threatening.  It may be a superficial fungus infection young people get (noncontagious, by the way.)  Have him try applying Selsun Blue (over-the-counter) shampoo to the dark spots, leave it on overnight, and wash off in the morning.  Repeat this for 7 days.  If it doesn't clear up, he should show it to a physician when he can.

Best.

Dr. R
i need to know what porfaria is i know its a skin disorder
I dont know how its spelled what is it
I have dark brown spots on my face and I have tried all kinds of lotions, creams, vitamin e, I even used a home remedy from a friend and it burned my face, it is embarrasing and I just don't know what this could be.  I noticed this after I had a hysterectomy back in 1997 I am 29 years old and I need to know what to use on my face so these blemishes will go away.

I have a skin disease known as morphea and I would like some information on this disease. It has grown on my left side for the past 20 years and the brown patches are a lot bigger now then they were 10 years ago.
it seems like my skin changes color ,it looks burnt sometimes mainly when i eat  or drink sodas five years ago i was light brown skin now iam brown skin like burnt and like scale lookinand let me eat chocolate it itche and gets darker.
it seems like my skin changes color ,it looks burnt sometimes mainly when i eat  or drink sodas five years ago i was light brown skin now iam brown skin like burnt and like scale lookinand let me eat chocolate it itche and gets darker.                                                                                                                                                                                                                   this is iris again does my question pertaining to my skin is the answer you gave to the lady about her son advising to use the sulsan blue.4/13/2000
I've tried some lightening creams off the shelf @ the pharmacy for dark brown patches of pagiment on the face but didn't work.
Can you recommend a suitable type of cream?
Appreciate your response.
Thank you.
Regards.
A related discussion, dark patches was started.
A related discussion, hyperpigmentaion was started.