dark spots left after chicken poxs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dark spots left after chicken poxs

I had the chicken poxs when i was little. It left dark spots all over my body. i don't know what they are or howto get rid of them. Can anybody explain what is is or how to get rid of them. They make my self esteem go down and i hate them,so if i can get some help it would be greatly appreicated.
Avatar dr f tn
After chicken pox you have developed post inflammatory hyper pigmentation. This is a normal reaction of the skin to an infection, trauma, or other damage in which as part of the healing process melanocytes migrate into the healing area. This gives the skin a darker appearance. They usually recover on their own and may need weeks to months. Keep your skin moisturized and apply a good sun screen when out in the sun .In cases in which the post inflammatory hyper pigmentation does not fade, additional medical treatments can be tried. Other treatments for hyper pigmentation available are chemical peels and bleaching creams. Seek the opinion of a dermatologist.
Take care and kind regards!