dark spots on cheeks
I have large, extremely dark spots on my cheeks...takes up most of my cheeks. one spot on each side. i started noticing some discoloration a few years ago but i've been to the doctor and he's never called attention to it. over the years now the spots seem to have gotten darker where now they are almost a dark, dark brown and my skin color is a light tan/brown. i'm not too big on putting products on my face aside from a mild soap and water to wash my face. so i was wondering if i should be extremely alarmed or maybe i can use some over the counter ointments or maybe face wash?
It sounds like melasma, but I can't be sure.  You can look it up  and see if this is similar to what you have.  Hope this helps.
From the symptoms it can be melasma. Melasma is caused by hormonal changes, which stimulate a temporary increase in your body's production of melanin. People with darker complexions are more prone to this condition than people with lighter skin.

Treatment options include treatment with vitamin C and hydrocortisone, peel with carbon dioxide snow and alexandrite and ND-Yag Q-Switched laser treatment preceded by a hydroquinone-based application. Please discuss these options with your dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.