dark thick ruff discoloration on both ankles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

4455547?1242174251
I have a dark thick ruff skin on both ankles and i can't seem to get rid of it, it gets very soft when i soak my feet and i am able to peel some off, but this doesn't help. i have been to the dermatology several times and all they seem to prescribe is creams which do not help.  I am insecure about my ankles because that most of the time i wear pants to cover my ankles, can you please help. I am African American and I am thinking about laser treatment to possible smooth and lighten the discoloration, what do you think.
Without examination it is very difficult to confirm anything but it can be due to acanthosis nigricans.It  is a brown to black, poorly defined, velvety hyperpigmentation of the skin found usually in skin folds.It can be confirmed by examination and biopsy of the skin.It is important for such patients to be screened for diabetes.

The other possibility is of lichenification of the skin or hyperpigmentation skin.

I would suggest an examination by a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.Kind regards.
the dermatologist stated this is hyper pigmentation and this is hard to treat.  The cause of this may be from rubbing my ankles against my sneakers, but i barely wear sneakers. i have tried a chemical peel and that helped a little, but hopefully i can find a dermatologist that can really help because i'm tired of paying and not getting any results. Thanks for your help.
hi there hey did u find a cure 4 the dark ankles. i have the same !!!! prob and very eagerly looking 4 a cure..

I also have the same problem, however, it also happen with my heels on both feet. I have been trying peels and bleaching cream but they don't seem to help and I am also very insecure about my feet. please let me know if you find anything that helps and I will also do the same.
I have the same problem and I am going to try a coffee grain & fresh lemon juice mixture.  The coffee grains are supposed to work as a scrub to remove the dead skin that is present and the fresh lemon lightens dark spots.  I hope this helps.  I will repost a comment after I try this treatment.  I saw this on The Doctors last week.  Good luck!
I have the same problem as well. I am African American and light skinned. Whatever the problem is it I am very insecure about it. My ankles are dark and it is a layer of white film over them as well. If I put some lotion on them the white film goes away for a few hours, but the darkness is still there. I also have some skin darkening on the sides of my neck and it has a shine to it as well. Somebody told me to get checked for diabetes because it can cause skin discolorations. I was tested and I do not have it. The next time I go back to the doctor I am going to ask about it.
OMG! I thought I was the only person with this problem.  I too am embarrassed to show my ankles in public. I have gone to the Dermatologists and was told I have Hyper Keratosis. They prescribed a cream for it, but it didn't work.  Currently I mostly wear slacks and shoes that cover my ankles.  I am going to give the coffee and lemon juice mixture a try.