Dermatology Expert Forum
darkened skin around waist

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

darkened skin around waist

For years I have had a discoloration of skin around my waist. I am lean and of Hispanic descent if that helps any. I have always worn 100% cotton briefs or boxer briefs (and yes, I change my underwear daily and always put on a fresh pair). I don't think that they fit me tight, so I'm not sure if it's chafing or something else that's causing the discoloration. Also, the pants I wear (mostly denim) are not tight fitting at all. And the area is never exposed to sun, as I have not been out in the sun regularly for some years. Could it be that my skin is just sensitive in that area, as it does not occur anywhere else on my body? The discoloration is slightly more dark on the sides of my waist than on the ab region or on my lower back. I regulary apply cream (moisterizing, butter cocoa, and Eurcerin...different ones over the years) when I get out of the shower to my body to see if that helps. I've even gone a period of time without using cream and no change in the discoloration. I've even tried babypowder to see if that would help. I didn't really notice a change. It's strictly a cosmetic thing I suppose, but I am conscious of it and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks.
It's possible that even if you don;t have irritation now, you may have had some in the past.  Irritation can cause extra pigmentation, especially in people whose skin tone is dark to begin with.  In such cases the pigment is sometimes long-lasting or permanent.  Bleaching creams and other therapies don't really help much.  

To get a solid diagnosis, you'll need to see a doctor in person.  I doubt you'll find out anything unpleasant, but at the same time I'm afraid you also aren't likely to learn of an effective therapy.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
BTW,the discoloration is a slightly brownish color.