dent in nail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dent in nail

What would cause a dent to appear on only one of my fingernails?  It is my middle finger on the left hand.  I have not hit it and it is not discolored in any way - no white spot or anything.  I just noticed one day that there was a dent at the nail bed and as time has passed - about a week since I noticed it - the dent has just continued up the middle of the nail.  It's only about a 1/8 of an inch in width and now about a fourth of an inch in length extending from the nail bed to about the middle of my nail.  It doesn't feel soft and doesn't hurt.

Tags: nail dent

A dent across the nail usually means some form or disruption of the nail growth area.It can also be due to Beau's lines that appear when growth at the area under your cuticle is interrupted.Third possibility is of psoriasis. The inflammatory skin condition,it shows up as red, scaly patches on the skin and can also affect the skin cells in the nails.

I sincerely advise you to consult a dermatologist as treatment modalities for all are different and so a confirmatory diagnosis has to be made first. Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Warm regards.