Dermatology Expert Forum
dermal fibrosis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

dermal fibrosis
I had rhinoplasty fifteen years ago. After that some kind of a   node appeared under the skin in the middle of my nose. It fluc-  tuates in size and can change it size and texture in a matter of  seconds. There are times when it's very small and soft and   my nose looks straight. There are times when it expands like a   baloon and it looks like i have a huge hump. It feels like a     hard rubber and I can feel sometimes separate strings under my   skin. It comes and go without any reason. It's not related to    particular food,alcohol,temperature,time of the day,season or    my emotional state. Outer skin looks always normal without redness.I've seen a few different specialists. After hearing my description they would tell me that it's impossible and I imagining things.After seeing pictures of my nose in it's different shapes they were at lost. Finally I found a dermatologist who gave it a few shots of hydrocortisone but it didn't help. After seeing biopsy report he ruled out inflamed cartilage, diagnosed me with dermal fibrosis/sclerosis with features of chondrodermatitis and told me that nothing else could be done. Any suggestions?
I'm afraid your description reminds me of nothing I have seen or heard of.  I would also be skeptical of such rapid and dramatic changes, but if you can see them, then I guess they're there.  The only advice I can give you is to consult plastic surgeons who have done many rhinoplasties, to see whether they have ever seen such a consequence.  The steroid injection made sense to try, but apparently didn't work.  I'm sorry, but I have no other thoughts.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, 5 biopsies=derma fibroids was started.
A related discussion, fibrosis was started.
A related discussion, Dermal Fibrosis was started.