dermal fibrosis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dermal fibrosis

I was told  by a PA that I have dermal fibrosis  with superficial morphea.  
What is this condition? The PA told me it was a skin dieases pertaining to the connective tissue.  He could not provide me with a better explaniation. However, he said it was not serious, didn't know what caused it and really could not say how long it would take to get rid of it. I have had the problem for 5 months and have been treated with a topical steriod.
Hope you can provide more information.

Localized fibrosing disorders include several clinical and histopathological conditions that are similar to the skin involvement of systemic sclerosis, but the systemic features are absent. Localized fibrosing disorders can be classified into several subtypes that include morphea, generalized morphea, and linear scleroderma, in which facial involvement is termed en coup de sabre. Linear scleroderma and morphea can coexist in the same patient.

Superficial morphea are often confined to the dermis and occasionally to the superficial panniculus. Subsets include morphea en plaque, guttate morphea, keloid morphea, lichen sclerosus et atrophicus, and atrophoderma of Pasini and Pierini.

Morphea en plaque: This is the most prevalent form of this group. It involves only 1 or 2 anatomic sites, usually the trunk. The disease is characterized by 1 or more circular areas of induration, usually larger than 1 cm in diameter, with varying degrees of pigment changes. An erythematous or violaceous halo (lilac ring), which often is evident during early disease, corresponds with an inflammatory state. As the disease progresses, the skin becomes sclerotic. As the inflammation subsides, the center of the lesion becomes whitish. After months to years, the skin softens and becomes atrophic, and a residual area of hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation might occur. Distinctive borders usually separate the plaques from the normal surrounding skin.

You could read more about this at
http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic3132.htm

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.