dirty marks around neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dirty marks around neck

ok my 14 yr old daughers neck always looks dirty! weve scrubbed with alchohol and its not dirt what else can it be and what can we do to help her she's always embaressed to wear her hair up.
Get your daughter's insulin checked.  My daughter has had this problem and it turned out to be a symptom of PCOS.

"PCOS can also cause darkening and thickening of the skin around the neck, groin, underarms or skin folds. This condition, called Acanthosis Nigricans is a sign of insulin abnormality, which is an underlying cause of PCOS."
thank you thank you thank you!  i am a 31 year old single mom who has been scared to death to get into a relationship because of the problems with my skin.  i have the exact same symptoms and i honestly believed that it was because i was dirty, even though i shower at least everyday and pay paticular attention to the "dirty" areas.  my neck, underarms and inner thighs have always been embarrassing.  i'm always self concious when someone is behind me at work because i have to wear my hair up and i'm always afraid they're thinking i am a dirty person.  you don't know the relief i felt when i saw pictures of Acanthosis Nigricans and it looks exactly like what i have!  i can't wait to make a doctor's appointment so i can finally do something about this.  i have been too ashamed to up until now for fear that i would just be told that i was dirty.  i am overweight, which is hard enough, but to live as a "dirty fat girl"  doesn't do much for your self esteem!  i finally feel like there may be hope for me after all!  thank you so much.  you may have literally changed my life!!!!!!!  bless you!
I have PCOS.  I am only 16. My gynecologist said that birth control can help. It has helped me and I am also overweight. I take Yasmin.(this pill does not make you gain weight)
You are born with this syndrome and is not curable, but treatable.