discolouration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

discolouration

My husband now in his 40's had no problems with his skin until about 3yrs ago. Since this time he is experiencing large white patches on his cheeks and forehead which are a lot more noticeable after the sun. It doesn't itch or anything it just looks looks as if the pigmentation in these areas have faded. I am trying to find out if there is anything he can take/use to help restore the pigment. I looked up Melasma but this seems to refer to darkening of the skin? Any advice would be much appreciated, it doesn't worry him but it makes for a funny looking photo haha  
One possibility for such hypopigmented patches on face is tinea versicolor. Tinea versicolor is caused by a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity and immune or hormone abnormalities.Treatment involves topical and oral antifungal medicines.

I suggest you to consult a dermatologist and get an examination done to confirm the diagnosis. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.